Photo

MW2 Multiplayer tips

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
289 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SG Jaycurl

SG Jaycurl

Old Thompson

• Members
  • 10,331 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:17 PM

As someone who didn't play COD4 multiplayer, I'd definitely appreciate some tips about anything MW2 multiplayer-related: Class setup, weapon configs, perk choices, general gameplay, whatever!

Care Packages
This might be common sense, but I didn't do it right away. I know the temptation is there to just chuck out that Care Package marker instantly as soon as you get it, but take a few things into consideration first:
  • Am I alone, or do I have allies nearby that can cover me or pick up the pkg if I die? If you're alone, just hold that puppy and head toward some teammates first.
  • Where should I throw this thing? Look for a spot that gives you cover while you unpack it, but beware of throwing toward buildings or other items that might result in an unreachable packge.
  • Can I use this as bait? Care packages bring enemies out of the woodwork. You might be able to use it as bait to lure out an opponent, and kill him/her. But use this tactic with care, so as to not just give up a care package to the opposition.
Laptop rewards
Some rewards (like the missile) allow you to remotely control an item via a laptop. Keep in mind that you can be killed in this mode. Try to find a good hiding spot before using these items.

SG Jaycurl
"The Highlander was a documentary, and the events happened in real-time."

#2 ONLINE   The Headhunter

The Headhunter

COD News Guru

• Members
  • 10,315 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

I am loving the M4 with the Bling perk. I set up the red dot sight with a heartbeat sensor. Really helps to know when enemies are close by. I just recently got the Stinger Launcher. That thing is sweet! Bye Bye helicopters, UAV's Harriers. I couldn't get the AC-130 though. It kept dropping flares to divert my missiles. I think I even got a lock on the copters with the care packages. They come in really fast so even if you can shoot it down, you would have to be really quick. I would love to see the person's face when their chopper blew up above them before it dropped the care package! :lol:

Also, since I don't get many kill streaks, I use the Hardline perk. Gives you the kill streak with one less kill than required. That one less kill can be huge when you are usually getting 2-3 kills in a row at most. That still can get you a UAV or care package. Of course the care packages can provide major destructive abilities.

#3 OFFLINE   mystrymasters

mystrymasters

Walt Grace

• Members
  • 16,362 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

The care packages make great bait.

Throw it to a spot where you can easily cover it. Don't shoot until they are unpacking, easy way to rack up a couple kills.

That really is the best way to use them. Draw folks out then when others find your location have them cover you while you unpack it.
MystryMasters
ExtendedPints.com

#4 OFFLINE   SG Noodles

SG Noodles

Better Late than Never

• Site Supporters
  • 40,072 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:40 PM

I don't have many tips but this...

If you get a Turret. Find a reasonable good spot for it. If you place it where it is hard for the enemy to get behind it, the longer it will last and rack you up some kills.

Also, don't be afraid to try out everything you unlock, it is the only way to find the weapon/item that is truly you!

NextLevel360 - 1976 - 2008 - Always a lap ahead, Casey!

Not Good 10 Feb 1967 - 14 Mar 2012 - We'll miss you, VJ!
Goobacks 15 Feb 1967 - 09 Sep 2012 - Honored to have known you, Mike!

535623.png

#5 OFFLINE   TROCKS

TROCKS

Poster Venti

• Members
  • 9,525 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:44 PM

Also, don't be afraid to try out everything you unlock, it is the only way to find the weapon/item that is truly you!

It's also a good way to really rack up XP very quickly. ;)

535690.png

#6 OFFLINE   Rage Quit FTW

Rage Quit FTW

Samus Aran

• Members
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:47 PM

When you get any kind of air strike communicate that with your team, try to see if anyone is close to getting a UAV. Dropping an airstrike without a UAV up is a crapshoot.

Predator Missile, on maps with lots of buildings wait until your team kills 2-3 people in somewhat quick succession. You typically don't respawn in buildings so this is an easy multi-kill. Some might see bombing spawns as cheap, but whatever it helps you win.

Pay attention to your radar, and where your enemies are positioned. If you notice a lot of orange blips in the way you are headed you might want to consider a longer flanking route as opposed to a head on engagement. The chances of you winning a 2, or 3 on 1 are slim in a frontal assault unless you are a COD god.

Check your corners! rushing into a building is a good way to get your ass killed, approach the door frame from an angle, and then "slice the pie" by strafing towards the opposite frame and aiming towards the opposite corner.

In domination when an enemy is capping a point your team controls lead off with a flash bang and flank them. If you have a frag left throw it while you are moving into position to get the shot.

Aim center mass with non-snipers, this will ensure that the recoil of your gun naturally draws the gun towards the high damage multipliers at the top of the torso, neck, and head.

aim high center mass with snipers, hitting the upper torso is a one shot one kill and is much easier to pull off than a head shot.

Don't be afraid to fire from the hip at close range, it's usually more effective than bringing up your sights.

If you are sniping don't stay in one spot overly long. Get 1-2 kills and find another spot, your enemies will know where you are from the kill cam, and with the new maps there are no shortage of ways to get payback on a sniper who stays in one spot too long.

I would highly recommend the M4A1 w/ red dot to newer players, pair this with sleight of hand, stopping power, and steady aim. The gun is potent at most ranges, has little recoil, and a decent sized clip. Stick with this until you are comfortable enough with the game to try other things.

Edited by Rage Quit FTW, 13 November 2009 - 01:48 PM.

Is it mimis time yet?

#7 OFFLINE   SG Noodles

SG Noodles

Better Late than Never

• Site Supporters
  • 40,072 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:47 PM

It's also a good way to really rack up XP very quickly. ;)

You see... the OCD part of me has not allowed me to use any weapon but the M4A1 so far for that class of weapon because I have to complete as many challenges as possible for it before I move on. I usually don't get them all done, but about 75% of them will fall down before I switch to the next weapon. LOL. I tend to do this for each class, so my Barret has seen some use already as well.

535623.png

#8 OFFLINE   FIVEDOLLARBOB

FIVEDOLLARBOB

Goomba

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:52 PM

GO PRONE - it works for anything, firefights, killstreak rewards, predator missiles, dominating, reloading. it should help, a little. and you get the prone shot challenges quickly for easy xp.

#9 OFFLINE   TROCKS

TROCKS

Poster Venti

• Members
  • 9,525 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:59 PM

You see... the OCD part of me has not allowed me to use any weapon but the M4A1 so far for that class of weapon because I have to complete as many challenges as possible for it before I move on. I usually don't get them all done, but about 75% of them will fall down before I switch to the next weapon. LOL. I tend to do this for each class, so my Barret has seen some use already as well.

I tend to get locked in on weapons too... way too much. I tend to use assault rifles over SMGs and LMGs because I just like all around weapons. In CoD4 I did way too much of that... using the M16 and M4 99% of the time. I'm trying to branch out in MW2... I've actually been sniping alot too... and loving it. I got the thermal scope for the Barrett last night... and all I can say is GOOD-FRIGGIN-NIGHT!! Combine that with Bling, Coldblooded, and Ninja (with a silencer) and you are an invisible death machine! I hate douches that do this to me... so I'm enjoying returning the favor!! :yes: :lol:

535690.png

#10 OFFLINE   MrBimble

MrBimble

Natalya

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:00 PM

Easiest way to deal with a sentry gun is to knife it from behind.

When sniping, keep looking through your scope for a couple seconds after a kill so the kill cam doesn't give away your position.

Kill streaks can be stacked now, unlike CoD4. You won't lose a streak reward if you earn another one, so don't feel like you have to jam the button as soon as you get one. Asses the situation and use it when the time is right.

L4D2: Rules of Engagement - League Champs!

535289.png

#11 OFFLINE   mystrymasters

mystrymasters

Walt Grace

• Members
  • 16,362 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:07 PM

Communicate with your team on the UAV uses. Try not to stack them to much and generally call it out. You will here it all the time from the game but for most it sticks in their head more when it is said from a player.

Stacking it is just a waste of the perk. And like Bimble says it stacks so you still have it even if you earn your next reward.

Remember also you do not lose your killstreak reward if you die. You still have it on respawn.

Don't keep going back to the same spot you died (I have to remember this) flank around or do in a different direction.

When defending domination points try not to stay within nade range. You will get caught, stay just out of range and move in as they are capping.
MystryMasters
ExtendedPints.com

#12 OFFLINE   SG Noodles

SG Noodles

Better Late than Never

• Site Supporters
  • 40,072 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:07 PM

Easiest way to deal with a sentry gun is to knife it from behind. That is why i said place your turrets where the back is not easily accessible :evilgrin:

When sniping, keep looking through your scope for a couple seconds after a kill so the kill cam doesn't give away your position. That is freaking awesome!!! So badass it isn't funny!!!!

Kill streaks can be stacked now, unlike CoD4. You won't lose a streak reward if you earn another one, so don't feel like you have to jam the button as soon as you get one. Asses the situation and use it when the time is right.

If you stack your kill streaks... which comes up when you try to call it in? The first one you got, or the last one?

535623.png

#13 OFFLINE   Player Oni

Player Oni

Always Smooth

• MOD Team
  • 27,593 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:09 PM

If you stack your kill streaks... which comes up when you try to call it in? The first one you got, or the last one?

The last one. It's a stack, not a queue.

#14 OFFLINE   SG Noodles

SG Noodles

Better Late than Never

• Site Supporters
  • 40,072 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:10 PM

AThankYou!!! ^_^

Edit: I was going to make an obscure jenga reference but it seemed forced :(

Edited by SG Noodles, 13 November 2009 - 02:11 PM.

535623.png

#15 OFFLINE   Player Oni

Player Oni

Always Smooth

• MOD Team
  • 27,593 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:11 PM

I'm actually kind of curious if you can stack multiple of the same killstreak reward too. I could've sworn one time last night I used a UAV and then had another one sitting there to use.

#16 OFFLINE   SG Noodles

SG Noodles

Better Late than Never

• Site Supporters
  • 40,072 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:16 PM

I'm actually kind of curious if you can stack multiple of the same killstreak reward too. I could've sworn one time last night I used a UAV and then had another one sitting there to use.

Maybe if you earn one, then pick one up in a care package? :dunno: Kind of like Eva and his stolen helicopters.

Edited by SG Noodles, 13 November 2009 - 02:17 PM.

535623.png

#17 OFFLINE   Fancy Pants

Fancy Pants

Talkin' bout Crossfit™

• Founder
  • 18,221 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:20 PM

When sniping, keep looking through your scope for a couple seconds after a kill so the kill cam doesn't give away your position.

Wouldn't you want to do that for a few seconds BEFORE the shot, not after? I thought the killcam showed you the few seconds leading up to your death, but not after? (I die so much you'd think I'd know the EXACT workings of the killcam) :)

Question: If you have a stack of KS perks (UAV, Care Package, Missile) and die, you obviously still have them, in that order. But what happens if you rack up 3 more kills before using any of them? Do you know have (in this order) UAV, Missile, Care Package, and then UAV again? Or do you erase the previous three and start over with just a UAV?

#18 OFFLINE   Wing1T

Wing1T

KStF Decommissioned

• Site Supporters
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:23 PM

GO PRONE - it works for anything, firefights, killstreak rewards, predator missiles, dominating, reloading. it should help, a little. and you get the prone shot challenges quickly for easy xp.

I picked up on this a little yesterday and it helped. I also switch my controls to tactical as was suggested on here. Also Oni was kind enough to tell me about crouching when moving around so a) I don't get my head blown off) and b) its a lot quieter. Actually I think he was sick of me giving away his position as I was trying to chase him around the map a couple days ago :yes:

SGCL4 Champions:KStF (SG Goobacks, SG NOOb, SG MacInnes, AScreamingLemon, Wing1t)

#19 OFFLINE   SG Noodles

SG Noodles

Better Late than Never

• Site Supporters
  • 40,072 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:25 PM

Switching the controls to 'tactical'? What is 'tractical' in a control scheme difference sort of way?

Edit: :blink: I think I just channeled mystry.... GET OYT OF MY HGEAD!!!!!!!!

Edited by SG Noodles, 13 November 2009 - 02:26 PM.

535623.png

#20 OFFLINE   Saucee

Saucee

Get Sauced

• Members
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:25 PM

Confirmed. Today I earned a care package that I saved for a while, and earned another before I used the first. Then I proceeded to still use both of them.
Long Time Member of the Pinq Mafia
Go Ahead..... Get Sauced
2011 CFL: Dayton Cobras

2010 HFL Rookie of the Year

#21 OFFLINE   SG Noodles

SG Noodles

Better Late than Never

• Site Supporters
  • 40,072 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:27 PM

Confirmed. Today I earned a care package that I saved for a while, and earned another before I used the first. Then I proceeded to still use both of them.

This could change the entire tactics of league games. Especially in games like "Sneak in and blow the enemies shit up" where you just battle it out for a while to build up streak rewards and then when the time is right, your whole team unleashes hell!!!! :blink:

535623.png

#22 OFFLINE   Wing1T

Wing1T

KStF Decommissioned

• Site Supporters
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:28 PM

Not sure if there's a joke buried in there somewhere, but just in case. Tactical controller layout swaps the melee and crouch/prone buttons around. So right stick click is now crouch/prone and the B button is melee.

SGCL4 Champions:KStF (SG Goobacks, SG NOOb, SG MacInnes, AScreamingLemon, Wing1t)

#23 OFFLINE   SG Noodles

SG Noodles

Better Late than Never

• Site Supporters
  • 40,072 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:30 PM

Not sure if there's a joke buried in there somewhere, but just in case. Tactical controller layout swaps the melee and crouch/prone buttons around. So right stick click is now crouch/prone and the B button is melee.

No there was no joke there... but now I am going to use that control scheme because it will be more familiar :yes: Thanks! :blush:

535623.png

#24 OFFLINE   MrBimble

MrBimble

Natalya

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:37 PM

Wouldn't you want to do that for a few seconds BEFORE the shot, not after? I thought the killcam showed you the few seconds leading up to your death, but not after? (I die so much you'd think I'd know the EXACT workings of the killcam) :)

True, but typically when I'm hunkered down with my sniper I'm already looking through the scope. But yes, you are correct, if it's a quick shot, then they will get a glimpse of your location before the kill. The kill cam will also show a little bit of play after you are dead. It's not much, but enough to give away your spot if you let go of the left trigger right away.

L4D2: Rules of Engagement - League Champs!

535289.png

#25 OFFLINE   Epows

Epows

Mega Man

• Members
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:51 PM

These two tips helped me out immensely as a noob back in MW1, haven't really had a chance to really dig into MW2 yet.

STOPPING POWER. I cannot say enough about this perk. Stopping power + an assault rifle means you have a pretty decent shot of killing someone if you get a upper body shot on them. An in Halo, I had the most trouble in finishing off people, even if I got the drop on them. Stopping power means that when I do have someone dead to rights, I can actually get the kill.

Go prone whenever you get flashed/stunned and don't move. Basically play possum until your vision returns.

HFL Sunshine State Sentinels: 2009 HFL Champs
SGGL Law & Mortar
SGCL 3 Diplomatic Immunity

#26 OFFLINE   LASSIE

LASSIE

Captain Callout

• Members
  • 19,524 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:51 PM

So, the UAVs do not stack with other UAVs? So what's the actual scenario. Let's say UAVs run for 20 seconds.

UAV1 is up, then you start up your UAV. Does that mean:

1) 20 seconds of UAV, followed by another consecutive 20 seconds of UAV.
2) 20 seconds of UAV, followed by another however many seconds you start yours after the first. Essentially, if you start yours 10 seconds into the first one, you tack on another 10 seconds of UAV time, since 10 seconds overlap between the two.
3) 20 seconds of UAV, followed by nothing. If you start your UAV when one is already running, you waste it.
PSN ID: GordTremeshko
GT: GordonTremeshko
THE PINQ MAFIA
ANIMAL HOUSE
THE CABANA BOYS

#27 OFFLINE   Epows

Epows

Mega Man

• Members
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:54 PM

So, the UAVs do not stack with other UAVs? So what's the actual scenario. Let's say UAVs run for 20 seconds.

UAV1 is up, then you start up your UAV. Does that mean:

1) 20 seconds of UAV, followed by another consecutive 20 seconds of UAV.
2) 20 seconds of UAV, followed by another however many seconds you start yours after the first. Essentially, if you start yours 10 seconds into the first one, you tack on another 10 seconds of UAV time, since 10 seconds overlap between the two.
3) 20 seconds of UAV, followed by nothing. If you start your UAV when one is already running, you waste it.

I think it's 20 seconds from the last time someone threw up a UAV (which I think is your 2nd one). So to maximize your UAV time, wait until the last one has died.

HFL Sunshine State Sentinels: 2009 HFL Champs
SGGL Law & Mortar
SGCL 3 Diplomatic Immunity

#28 OFFLINE   TROCKS

TROCKS

Poster Venti

• Members
  • 9,525 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:02 PM

I think it's 20 seconds from the last time someone threw up a UAV (which I think is your 2nd one). So to maximize your UAV time, wait until the last one has died.

Yup, what Swope said. It's 20 seconds from the time any UAV goes up. If you throw one up 3 seconds after someone else on your team does, you lose 17 seconds of effective UAV time. I always check to see if one is up and wait until its expired to throw mine up. Also, new to MW2... if you are being radar jammed, UAV's are completely blocked, so don't waste them. Wait until you've reestablished radar to throw up your UAV. ;)

535690.png

#29 OFFLINE   LASSIE

LASSIE

Captain Callout

• Members
  • 19,524 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:11 PM

Thanks, guys. Good to know. I guess, especially in a league setting, where communication and coordination will play a huge part in startegy. I keep forgetting that I dont need to use my killstreak perks when I respawn. I'll definitely be more patient from now on.
THE PINQ MAFIA
ANIMAL HOUSE
THE CABANA BOYS

#30 OFFLINE   SG Jango

SG Jango

Hype Train Engineer

• MOD Team
  • 23,922 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:14 PM

I keep forgetting that I dont need to use my killstreak perks when I respawn. I'll definitely be more patient from now on.

Another good thing to do is to save them up. This comes in handy in games like Domination or CTF. When you need to make a final push break out that AC-130 or Harrier you've been holding onto for 3/4 of the game. This can be a huge momentum swing for your team if you are down and a huge boost if you are up but loosing momentum. :yes:

535315.png

cyborg eye implant

"Now I know what it feels like to be a Clippers fan all those years." Kobe Bryant 3/12/14

#31 OFFLINE   Fancy Pants

Fancy Pants

Talkin' bout Crossfit™

• Founder
  • 18,221 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:15 PM

Question: If you have a stack of KS perks (UAV, Care Package, Missile) and die, you obviously still have them, in that order. But what happens if you rack up 3 more kills before using any of them? Do you know have (in this order) UAV, Missile, Care Package, and then UAV again? Or do you erase the previous three and start over with just a UAV?

Anyone?

#32 OFFLINE   SG Jango

SG Jango

Hype Train Engineer

• MOD Team
  • 23,922 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:19 PM

Anyone?

No idea. In COD4 once you died it wiped out any streak you may have had going. So maybe it's the same for MW2.

535315.png

cyborg eye implant

"Now I know what it feels like to be a Clippers fan all those years." Kobe Bryant 3/12/14

#33 OFFLINE   LASSIE

LASSIE

Captain Callout

• Members
  • 19,524 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:20 PM

Anyone?

That's a good question. I don't know because I tend to SPAM my KS perks but I would assume you can't collect them like that. Like, you can only queue up one each of your KS perks and can't gain any more until you use. I think this makes for playability versus just hoarding everything and then having like a billion UAVs to use at the end of the game.
THE PINQ MAFIA
ANIMAL HOUSE
THE CABANA BOYS

#34 ONLINE   blackzipper

blackzipper

Esgaroth Will Burn

• MOD Team
  • 42,276 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:24 PM

Yeah, a billion UAVs would be alot. :D

625321.png

#35 OFFLINE   Fancy Pants

Fancy Pants

Talkin' bout Crossfit™

• Founder
  • 18,221 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:27 PM

No idea. In COD4 once you died it wiped out any streak you may have had going. So maybe it's the same for MW2.

So, if you're sitting on 3 KS rewards and die, you still have those three till whenever you use them, but getting more kills doesn't do anything? I think we should do some testing to figure this all out.

#36 OFFLINE   mystrymasters

mystrymasters

Walt Grace

• Members
  • 16,362 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:28 PM

That is true however not what he is asking.

Jamo saucee answered that above I think.

I think that they would be added in a line last in first out.

Sacuee confirmed your question Jamo
MystryMasters
ExtendedPints.com

#37 OFFLINE   LASSIE

LASSIE

Captain Callout

• Members
  • 19,524 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:42 PM

So, if you're sitting on 3 KS rewards and die, you still have those three till whenever you use them, but getting more kills doesn't do anything? I think we should do some testing to figure this all out.

I guess I'm wrong. Saucee says he queued up two care packages. We definitely need to test this out though.
THE PINQ MAFIA
ANIMAL HOUSE
THE CABANA BOYS

#38 OFFLINE   Player Oni

Player Oni

Always Smooth

• MOD Team
  • 27,593 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:50 PM

Actually I think he was sick of me giving away his position as I was trying to chase him around the map a couple days ago :yes:

:lol: I rarely use stealth, I just wanted to take down that f--king sniper on Estate.

#39 OFFLINE   ACE Wright

ACE Wright

ACE_Rifleman

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:13 PM

shoot first, ask questions later.

Moving to PS4 - PSN ID =  ACE_Rifleman

#40 OFFLINE   Im Insane Dude

Im Insane Dude

Formerly BULLET VVOUNDS

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:56 PM

You would keep the killstreak perk that you had recently got. For example, say you didnt use your UAV, and Care Package and had your missle, it would be the only thing you can use, even after you have died. Once you use it, it will restart with UAV once you have 3 kills, or if you have more than 3 kills and still haven't used the missle, you use the one after UAV once getting the appropriate kill amount. Sorry if that was a little confusing Jamo.