Photo

Carcassonne Tips & Strategies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Darth Smurf X

Darth Smurf X

Sonic

• Members
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:03 AM

So I got this game for free yesterday and it's my first experience with it. Are there any tips or strategies I should know about it or does it just heavily rely on "luck of the draw"?

#2 OFFLINE   JWonder

JWonder

Princess

• Admins
  • 36,091 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:11 AM

Plan your farmers early and work your tiles keeping them in mind (ideally somehow connecting the territories they're on so as to outnumber any opposing farmers, and touching as many completed cities as possible). In the end, farmers can score you some serious points. Just keep in mind, when placing them, that you do NOT get that piece back for the remainder of the game.

"That's my MOM dicknuts!"

-Stretch

#3 OFFLINE   Darth Smurf X

Darth Smurf X

Sonic

• Members
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:30 AM

Farms weren't explained too well in the good ol'tutorial. Do you have to complete them to get the points and by completing them, I'm assuming it's just completing the border and not the inards or does it all have to be filled?

#4 OFFLINE   Ark Malmeida

Ark Malmeida

Super Nachos

• Site Supporters
  • 12,854 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:48 AM

It's not the farms that need to be completed, it's any cities that are touching them. You get three points for each completed city that your farmland touches. It's yours if nothing breaks up the land, such as a road or river. The thing that confused me was that if an opponent also has a person on the same farmland, then you both get the points, but if they have more than you on that land only they get the points.

#5 OFFLINE   Darth Smurf X

Darth Smurf X

Sonic

• Members
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:21 AM

Thanks Ark... that helps out a lot.

#6 OFFLINE   JWonder

JWonder

Princess

• Admins
  • 36,091 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:26 AM

The farms work as Ark explained. YOu want more farmers than your opponent(s). Remember, Carcassonne isn't only a 2-player game. In a 2-player game, if you and your opponent match up 2 farmers each for say 6 completed cities, yes, the points (which you both get) are a complete wash. May as well not get any basically. That all changes when more opponents are added, because even if you're sharing points w/ someone, someone ELSE isn't getting anything. But yeah, you want to try to plan ahead by placing farmers smartly, not EVERYWHERE lest you run out of dudes to place, and then connect 'em all up later. Remember, any time a farmer is touching a city or cities (or, for that matter, NOT touching anything), an opponent (AND you) can't place ANOTHER farmer in that territory, no matter how big it is. You need to put one in an unconnected area and then hopefully merge the 2 areas via tiles later on.

Edited by JWonder, 16 November 2007 - 10:27 AM.

"That's my MOM dicknuts!"

-Stretch

#7 OFFLINE   Corvall

Corvall

:^)

• Site Supporters
  • 9,525 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:14 PM

Farmers are one of the more difficult strategy decisions you have to make. Placing an early farmer could get you a claim on a lucrative plot of land. But then that piece can't score you any other points the entire game. Also, you could run the risk of farm escalation, where another player tries to steal your farm by merging in two farmers of his own. Then you need to use another piece as a farmer to maintain your claim, and a third if you want it all for yourself. I've seen games where two players keep going after a big farm, but they end up not having scored enough points on other things to win. Also, for the most part it's really not that hard to merge your way into a farm later in the game.

Corvall

Super Meat Boy: I'm a Golden God!

OSGL4D2 League - Rules of Engagement - Corvall, MrBimble, SG Jango ©, SG Stretch - League Champions!
SGL4D3 League - Midnight Riders - Corvall, SG Juice, WickedCatfish, WillysK5
L4D FoF List: a SGG L4D

#8 Guest_Alakazombie_*

Guest_Alakazombie_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2007 - 02:34 PM

Farmers are one of the more difficult strategy decisions you have to make. Placing an early farmer could get you a claim on a lucrative plot of land. But then that piece can't score you any other points the entire game. Also, you could run the risk of farm escalation, where another player tries to steal your farm by merging in two farmers of his own. Then you need to use another piece as a farmer to maintain your claim, and a third if you want it all for yourself. I've seen games where two players keep going after a big farm, but they end up not having scored enough points on other things to win. Also, for the most part it's really not that hard to merge your way into a farm later in the game.

Corvall

Funny you should go into building into other peoples' things; I pretty much stopped playing online because I got sick of other players ruining a mutual city by trying to get the points for themselves. I know it's counterintuitive, but in a 3+ player game, it's usually not worth trying to do that; you're more likely to win if you and the other player get full points for the city than if you lock up your meeples screwing over other people.

#9 OFFLINE   da Schnook

da Schnook

Gamings 1%

• MOD Team
  • 12,081 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:52 PM

Funny you should go into building into other peoples' things; I pretty much stopped playing online because I got sick of other players ruining a mutual city by trying to get the points for themselves. I know it's counterintuitive, but in a 3+ player game, it's usually not worth trying to do that; you're more likely to win if you and the other player get full points for the city than if you lock up your meeples screwing over other people.

He must be talking about me. :unsure:

Stand back! I'm doing Science!

#10 OFFLINE   Corvall

Corvall

:^)

• Site Supporters
  • 9,525 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:07 PM

Edging people out of cities and farms is a big part of the game! You just have to balance the risk of devoting another piece to the attempt combined with the fact that the other player is no longer helping you finish the city against the benfit of getting all the points for yourself. There should be less and less incentive to do it the more players there are in the game though. I can easily see people online doing it too much, but those players aren't going to do as well in the long run.

Corvall

Super Meat Boy: I'm a Golden God!

OSGL4D2 League - Rules of Engagement - Corvall, MrBimble, SG Jango ©, SG Stretch - League Champions!
SGL4D3 League - Midnight Riders - Corvall, SG Juice, WickedCatfish, WillysK5
L4D FoF List: a SGG L4D