Photo

Zune Network Sharing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ace McKilty

Ace McKilty

Happy Wear a Sparkly Giants G-String & Goggles to Work Day

• Admins
  • 33,189 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:54 PM

I wanted to share send photos and music from my computer with my Xbox. I used to do this all teh time, but I think since I got the Elite it hasn't worked. I also noticed the the Windows Media Connect no longer runs on my computer and I can't find where it was. So I went onto the 360 to set it up again and got the address: www.xbox.com/pcsetup.

This brings me to the Zune software. I installed it and I try to enable media sharing, but it won't enable. I get this message:

Media sharing is currently disabled, either because the service is not running or your firewall settings have changed. To restart sharing, you must first confirm your sharing settings.

I found that the Zune Network Sharing service isn't started. I try to start it and I get this message:

Could not start the Zune Network Sharing Service service on Local Computer.

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

I looked under dependencies and found HTTP, HTTP SSL and Universal Plug and Play device Host.

So I tried starting the Universal Plug and Play. It started and stopped because it wasn't needed. I then tried the HTTP SSL, but it's already running. Lastly, I tried HTTP... but I don't see it. However, the HTTP SSL service is Dependant on the HTTP, so if the HTTP SSL is running, then the HTTP service must be. I tried the Zune again, but it didn't work. I can only guess that the Zune service isn't starting the Universal PnP Device Host service.

G O O B A C K S

#2 OFFLINE   Ace McKilty

Ace McKilty

• Admins
  • 33,189 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:37 AM

Stumped y'all! Ha! :(

G O O B A C K S

#3 OFFLINE   Greg

Greg

Captain Falcon

• Members
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:32 AM

Ace if you upgraded your Media Player to 11, you have to now go into the options menu to setup sharing. M$ changed the setting from the control panel to now Media Player. Hope that helps.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" --Edmund Burke

#4 OFFLINE   Ace McKilty

Ace McKilty

• Admins
  • 33,189 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:27 PM

Yeah, I found that earlier today. I try to enable it, it does something for a bit, and then nothing.

G O O B A C K S

#5 OFFLINE   Fancy Pants

Fancy Pants

Talkin' bout Crossfit™

• Founder
  • 18,213 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:40 PM

You should have to enter a passcode when you initiate sharing, once the passcode is verified you then select which devices you want to share with within WMP 11. Ugh, I hate PC's.

#6 OFFLINE   Ace McKilty

Ace McKilty

• Admins
  • 33,189 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

I'm not prompted for anything. The sharing service just won't start.

G O O B A C K S

#7 OFFLINE   Codemunkee

Codemunkee

Frogger

• Members
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:50 PM

I'm not prompted for anything. The sharing service just won't start.

What account is the service trying to run under? You may have to specify an Administrator account and credentials in order to get it to start. Especially if youre using Vista and you installed it under a non-admin account.

#8 OFFLINE   Ace McKilty

Ace McKilty

• Admins
  • 33,189 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:55 PM

Nope, not Vista. All my accounts, except a few guests, are Admin. I doubt it would be under any of those. I uninstalled Zune. I thought maybe there was a conflict between WMP, Zune, and Windows Media Connect. I don't know the sharing services used by the others so I have no idea what to even check.

G O O B A C K S

#9 OFFLINE   Scaffold

Scaffold

cheesing my f-ing brains out

• Members
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:38 PM

Ace I did a search earlier at work when I first read your post and found a link to an MS article which said that if you're using multiple accounts, you'll basically have to go into each one of them and disable the service, and then then restart it in order to get it working.

I'll post back with the link when I get a chance to find it again.

536331.png

#10 OFFLINE   Ace McKilty

Ace McKilty

• Admins
  • 33,189 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:54 AM

I think the problem started with the upgrade to WMP 11. I uninstalled that and suddenly Windows Media Connect was back on my computer-- sort of. I had deleted the folder earlier because I could not find an uninstall. So I will reinstall that later. Time for a new computer soon, so I will not be rebuilding this one although the urge is strong.

G O O B A C K S